Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Peonies!



I spotted the first peonies of the season today at my local Trader Joe's.  I saw them at the San Francisco Flower Mart over the holidays, but at $30 a bunch, I couldn't justify bringing any home...even if they are my FAVORITE flower.  (I love them so much that I had to have them at my December wedding...in Idaho...flown in from somewhere exotic like Chile at about $15 a stem!!!)

They were still a little pricey at Trader Joe's ($6.99 for 3 stems), but I had to bring some home anyway.  



I'll see how they open up after a few days as they were pretty tight.  It may still be early in the season.  Typically they aren't readily available at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's for another couple of months.  Here are a few photos of peonies around my house last year.  They make me so happy!


On my bedside table


In the family room next to the couch

2 comments:

  1. Love peonies! I found them at Trader Joe's prior to Christmas and made a white peony centerpiece on the table for Christmas dinner. Stunning. Nothing smells as good as a peony. They lasted almost a week and I kept them even as the petals started to fall off - still smelled wonderful. Think I might have to go find some more today. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia, I bet your Christmas dinner centerpiece was gorgeous with white peonies - my absolute favorite. They do smell amazing, don't they? I put my Trader Joe's peonies on my desk so I could enjoy them all the time. I hope you were able to find some more last week. I hope the stores have them more often in the coming months so we can both indulge!

    ReplyDelete