Wednesday, January 13, 2010

High/Low Dining Chair Find


New dining chairs have been on my wish list for quite some time.  The black Windsor chairs I currently have are perfectly fine and only about four years old, but I have tired of them and would like a new look.  (You can see them here in my post on entertaining.) So I don't NEED new dining chairs, but I WANT them - my husband always likes to point out the difference between WANT and NEED.  I'm still learning.

I've been checking out these Williams-Sonoma Home dining chairs for some time, but at $445 per chair, I couldn't justify buying 6 of them!  That's about $2,700.  They do look so comfy though!


Williams-Sonoma Home Farallon Chair ($445) 

I have seen similar chairs in high-end home furnishings stores, but they are in the same price range.  However, I got an email from Pottery Barn this morning that featured a new chair this season, the Wingate Rattan Dining Armchair:


Pottery Barn Wingate Rattan Dining Armchair ($299)

Still pretty expensive when you take into account that I need want 6 of them (about $1,800), but still cheaper than the Williams-Sonoma Home Farallon chair.  Usually I am not a fan of Pottery Barn because of it's generic look (I can count the number of Pottery Barn items in my ENTIRE house on one hand), but I thought these chairs were pretty cute and had some character.  The rattan would also contrast nicely with my black table.  

These chairs just look so comfy - like your dinner guests would linger, enjoy themselves and be comfortable for hours.  When it comes to dining chairs, I am a HUGE fan of each chair having arms rather than just the chairs at the head of the table.  This way all of your guests are comfortable and I think it encourages them to stay longer if they are comfy.

If you want an even better deal on a rattan dining chair, check out the Majby chair from IKEA.



Ikea Majby Chair ($79.99)

At $80 a chair I can get all six dining chairs for under $500!  What a deal!  Now the IKEA cushions don't look as thick as the other chairs, but for how inexpensive these chairs are, you could get the cushions re-stuffed or remade in a few years when they aren't as fresh looking anymore. 

You could also spice up all of these chairs with a great lumbar pillow and your guests would be even more comfy!  I found a few on etsy that are so much fun!


Imperial Trellis Lumbar Pillow from Thieverie ($81)



Zimba Lumbar Pillow from Thieverie ($75)


Maybe hubby will read this and realize that I NEED new dining chairs.  Yeah right!

No comments:

Post a Comment